Trafford Housing Trust

Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit is financial assistance provided by the Council to help people to pay their rent. 

A person can apply for Housing and Council Tax Benefit if they...

  • Rent their home.  Housing Benefit cannot be paid to assist someone to pay their mortgage.
  • Are treated as being responsible for paying the rent.  You cannot receive Housing Benefit if you are living with a family member - for example you live with your parents. Exception to this rule is where a joint tenancy has been granted.
  •  Have a sufficiently low income.  What constitutes a `low income` is dependent upon the personal circumstances of you and your family.

The amount of Housing Benefit that can be received also varies.  This is because the income of both your family and other people living in the home can in some circumstances be taken into consideration.

 Trafford Council Benefit CalculatorClick to go to Trafford Council's Benefit calculator

Complete an online calculation on the Trafford Council Website. (Opens in a new window)


Trafford Council Online Claim FormClick to go to Trafford Council's Housing & Council tax benefit claim form

Complete an online Claim Form on the Trafford Council Website. (Opens in a new window)

  Help with the form & more informationHelp-with-the-form.gif

You can get help completing the form and  understanding what you need to do.

Comment about this page -

© Trafford Housing Trust Limited.

Registered in England and Wales Reg No 04831118. Reg Office: Trafford Housing Trust, Sale Point, 126 - 150 Washway Road, Sale, M33 6AG.
Charity Reg No 1106967; Registered by the Homes and Communities Agency. No. L4440; VAT No 854 7727 85.