Trafford Housing Trust

 Help with the form & more information

Help completing the Housing benefits Form

If you would like any help to complete a Housing Benefit application, please contact Trafford Council on 0161 912 2220 or our own Money Support Team on 0300 777 7777

I get Housing Benefit but I'm still struggling to pay my rent

Did you know that if you receive a partial award of Housing Benefit and struggle to pay the difference between this and your full rent then you may be able to receive a discretionary housing payment (DHP)

There is a small fund of money available to the Council each year to allow them to award extra financial help to cover this difference. 

In order to apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment you must show that...

  1. You receive some Housing Benefit
  2. There is a shortfall between the amount of Housing Benefit  that you receive and the amount of rent you are charged. 
  3. You are struggling to pay difference between the benefit you get and the rent you must pay.  The Council must be satisfied that you are having realistic difficulties with this and will require full details of both your income and the money that you spend each week.

As the name suggests this payment is discretionary in nature and the Council do not have the funding to make awards to everyone who has to contribute towards their rent.  They would however look at the circumstances of each application made.

If awarded, the Discretionary Housing Payment can either be by way of a lump sum, which would be credited to your rent account, or by an increase to the amount of Housing Benefit that you receive each week. 

If you would like to make an application for a Discretionary Housing Payment then you can download an application from Trafford Council website HERE.  Alternatively call Trafford Housing Trust on 0300 777 7777 and we shall forward one to you.

My Housing Benefit award has a `non dependent deduction`, what is this.

If you have people over the age of 18 living with you (for whom you do not receive Child Benefit) then your Housing Benefit award may be reduced.  This person is called a `non dependent`.

The amount of the reduction is based on the gross income of the non dependent. 

If the tenant / tenants partner receives either the Care Component of Disability Living Allowance or Attendance Allowance then no non dependent deduction will be applied to your Housing Benefit award even if other people are living with you.

My circumstances have changed - what do I need to do?

If you receive any kind of benefit then you need to report any changes to your family or income to the appropriate DWP office and separately to Trafford Council on 0161 912 2220 as soon as they happen. You should also notify the Trust on 0300 777 7777 or by email to  as we may be able to give you information to help you. 

Changes which must be reported include:

  • Changes to your household.  This could include for example a partner moving in or moving out, or a child leaving home or you no longer receiving Child Benefit for them.
  • Changes to your household income.  This could include for example changes to your wages or benefits, or changes to the income of other people who live with you
  • If you start or stop employment
  • If the number of hours that you work increase or decrease
  • If you are advised that you can no longer receive a benefit.  This can include for example Disability Living Allowance, Incapacity Benefit or Employment and Support Allowance.  This needs to be reported even if you are appealing against the decision to stop your award.
Comment about this page -
© Trafford Housing Trust Limited.

Registered in England and Wales Reg No 04831118. Reg Office: Trafford Housing Trust, Sale Point, 126 - 150 Washway Road, Sale, M33 6AG.
Charity Reg No 1106967; Registered by the Homes and Communities Agency. No. L4440; VAT No 854 7727 85.