Skip navigation

Hate crime

Hate incidents are any incidents based on someone’s prejudice towards them because of their race, religion, sexual orientation, disability, or transgender identity.  

A hate incident can become a hate crime when the incident breaks the law. Hate crime can include: 

  • Threatening behaviour
  • Assault
  • Robbery
  • Damage to property
  • Inciting others to commit hate crimes
  • Harassment
  • Online abuse 

You can find more information on the CPS website 


How do I report hate crime? 

If you’re in immediate danger, call 999. If the crime isn’t an emergency, call 101 or contact your local police 

Hate crimes should be reported to the police directly by contacting your local police station. If you're a resident of Greater Manchester, you can report a hate crime here. 


What information should I tell the police? 

It’s essential to give as many details as possible to help the police deal with the incident more effectively. If you want the police to investigate the incident, you’ll need to provide your contact details.  

The reporting forms tell you what information you need to give when reporting the hate incident or crime.

Some useful details include: 

  • Time and date of the incident
  • Where the incident took place
  • Description of the offender such as age, height, build, gender, ethnicity, clothing or any other identifying features
  • Description of any vehicles involved (if relevant) such as make, model, colour or other appearance details
  • Description and photographs of the damage or loss to your property (if relevant) and the costs involved 


Should I report all the hate incidents I experience? 

Yes, it’s best to report all the hate incidents you experience to the police. If you’re repeatedly harassed, it may be a good idea to keep a record of the incidents to help you when you contact the police.  


Additional information and support 

If you don’t feel comfortable talking to the police about hate crime or need support and advice, True Vision has a list of organisations that can help you.