Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service have more information on how you can stay safe in your home, on their website. Here we set out some of our top tips for you.
It is important that your smoke alarm is in good working order. Take some time to do the following:
You are more at risk from a fire when asleep. So it's a good idea to check your home before you go to bed. Use this quick check list to keep your home safer from fire:
Check that cooking appliances are turned-off when you’re not using them. The safest way to cook chips is in an oven or a temperature-controlled deep fat fryer. Don’t cook if you have been drinking, taking drugs or are over-tired
Ensure heaters are turned-off properly. Use a guard in front of an electric or gas fire
Keep furniture and clothes away from heaters
If you use oxygen equipment for medical reasons or are disabled, please get in touch to let us know, so we can plan for your individual support needs in the event of an emergency.
Gas is safe for heating and cooking but if it leaks or an appliance is faulty it can be very dangerous. Only registered gas fitters can carry out repairs to gas appliances or connections. Please ensure your own gas appliances are serviced by a registered gas fitter. Don’t use or store bottled gas cylinders in flats.
If you smell gas immediately ring the National Grid Emergencies on 0800 111 999, then call our Customer Hub.
We service the heating system in your home once a year. It’s important that we have access to your home, so we can carry out this check. If you haven’t received a visit in the past year, please phone our Customer Hub to make an appointment.
Only qualified electricians should fit sockets or alter the wiring in your home. If you wish to carry out home improvements, please contact us so we can arrange a visit to check the work it is safe.
Don’t overload electrical sockets. Warning signs include: hot plugs, a buzzing noise, scorch marks on plugs or sockets, appliances going on/off and flickering lights. Report any faults to our Customer Hub.
One of the main causes of electrical fires is faulty and recalled appliances, so we ask our customers to ensure their appliances are registered. You can register new and older appliances on the Register My Appliance website at www.registermyappliance.org.uk.
Keep hair straighteners out of reach of children. Children’s skin can be 15 times thinner than that of adults so it’s important to keep hair tools out of reach. Use a heat proof pouch when using your hair straighteners. Hair straighteners stay hot up to 40 minutes after they have been switched-off. Make sure you don’t leave hair straighteners unattended and make sure you unplug them when you have finished.
In the event of a serious burn, follow the three Cs:
Trafford Councillor to be Remembered by New Social Housing Honour
Timperley development to be named after popular and influential Councillor
Major Step Forward for Timperley Housing Development
Sales centre to open at Timperley Village development
£100,000 Funding Boost for Trafford Counselling Service
Grant will help provide counselling to adults and children in Trafford
Helping Trafford Residents
We are in the same storm, but not in the same boat
Trafford Crisis Fund - a blog by Larry Gold
Raising funds to support Trafford residents
£250,000 Fundraising Drive Launched for Trafford Residents
New campaign to help the most vulnerable in the borough